Epic are really stepping out of their shoes and launching off to space, not only are they determined to give developers a fairer rate on the store front. But they want to share their services that allow cross-platform on Fortnite, to all developers and engines!
This is great news for smaller development teams who neither have the time or resources to create their own service.
The other good news is we know it will work, as Epic put it
We’ll be launching a large set of cross-platform game services originally built for Fortnite, and battle-tested with 200,000,000 players across 7 platforms.
And it’s still being worked on and expanded
The service will launch as a core but will be expanded throughout 2019 to bring the following.
- Cross-Platform Login, Friends, Presence, Profile, and Entitlements (coming Q2-Q3 2019 to PC, other platforms throughout 2019): Provides the core functionality for persistently recognizing players across multiple sessions and devices; identifying friends; and managing free and paid item entitlements. This will support all 7 major platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) to the full extent each platform allows per-title.
- PC/Mac Overlay API (coming Q3 2019): Provides a user interface for login, friends, and other features in a game-agnostic, engine-agnostic way.
- Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in-game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free. (For developers needing an immediately-available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)
- Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking (coming Q3-4 2019 to all platforms)
- Cross-Platform Data Storage, Cloud-Saved Games (coming Q2 2019)
- Cross-Platform Achievements and Trophies (coming Q3 2019)
This is just the beginning. Epic are also working on further support for user-generated content, enhanced social features, anti-cheat, and more.
The potentials are simply unreal and could be a massive game changer, Epic are doing huge things lately and I suspect this will not be the last of it.
All I can say is keep it up, so far what your bringing to the table is Epic.